At HKB Cosmetic Surgery, we hear from many women interested in enhancing their breasts’ appearance. Often, these patients know they want to do something, but they’re not sure exactly what. That’s because there are a couple of options for breast enhancement, including breast augmentation and breast lift. Both procedures can alter the appearance of your breasts, but they do so in fundamentally different ways.
The question is: is breast augmentation or breast lift the right option for you? The only way to know for sure is to contact our Charlotte cosmetic surgery practice for a one-on-one consultation with one of our three highly-rated, talented, and board-certified cosmetic surgeons. In a private, relaxed setting, we’ll talk with you about your cosmetic goals, walk you through the available options, and help you determine which procedure is best for you.
In the meantime, we’re happy to provide some general guidelines as to what these two procedures involve, and to help you start forming some idea as to whether you’d like breast augmentation or breast lift surgery.
Breast Augmentation or Breast Lift: The Basics
Let’s begin with some foundational concepts. When women are dissatisfied with their breasts, it’s usually for one of two reasons:
- Sometimes, they are dissatisfied with the size of their breasts; they simply wish they were a little bit bigger, filling out their bikini the way their girlfriends do. Also note that many moms lose a bit of volume after breastfeeding, and simply want to get back to their “ Pre-baby” shape.
- In other cases, women are dissatisfied with the shape of their breasts. In other words, they don’t necessarily want their breasts to be bigger; they just want them to be less “droopy.”
Of course, we also hear from some patients who are dissatisfied with both the volume and the shape of their breasts.
As you think about whether to get a breast augmentation or breast lift, we’d recommend thinking about it this way:
- Breast augmentation is all about increasing the volume of your breasts by way of different types of surgical breast implants. So, if you want your breasts to look a little bigger or fuller, augmentation is probably the option you want.
- A breast lift doesn’t add volume, but it does change the shape of the breasts. Precisely, it moves the nipple back upwards from a drooping position, helping the breast look “perkier.” If your nipples point down to the floor and you’re mainly looking to reduce sagging, a breast lift can be the right call.
- If you’re looking to change both the volume and the shape of your breasts, then you may wish to consider having breast augmentation and a breast lift at the same time. This is something we can do here at HKB Cosmetic Surgery.
Determining Your Breast Enhancement Needs
It’s important to note that the question of breast volume is highly subjective; whether your breasts are too large, too small, or just right is entirely a matter of your personal opinion. With that said, if you’re interested in discussing options for breast aesthetics with a trained cosmetic surgeon, our providers are happy to help.
The consensus view is that an attractive breast has the nipple at the breast mound’s peak as for breast shape. You might also consider the placement of the nipple with relation to the breast fold. Most of the time, if your nipple is above the fold, you don’t need a lift. But if the nipple falls below the breast fold, a breast lift can be just the thing to restore a healthy, perky shape. Again, our providers are ready to speak with you about this further and to answer any questions.
Why Get Both Procedures at Once?
As we noted above, you don’t have to decide between breast augmentation and breast lift. We have some patients who opt to have both procedures done at the same time.
The primary benefit of this is that you only have to go into surgery once, which decreases the risks associated with anesthesia. And it means you can have a single recovery time, reducing the days you spend resting your body. If you’re looking to change both the volume and shape of your breasts, having both procedures done simultaneously makes the most sense.
Do I Need a Breast Lift or a Breast Augmentation?
As you consider the different options available to you, we’d encourage you to make an appointment with us at HKB Cosmetic Surgery. During a one-on-one consultation, we’ll help you make an informed, healthy decision about your breast enhancement needs.
We can help perform some essential 3D imaging, allowing you to see a model of basically what your breasts will look like after the surgery. This can be a great way to ensure you have the right expectations. And it allows us to help you consider different shapes and sizes, seeing how each option looks in the context of your body.
Something else that’s important to us is ensuring you’re qualified for surgery. We’ll want to talk with you about your personal medical history, as well as any medications you’re taking. This is a simple precaution that helps us ensure you’re the right candidate for a safe surgery and a rapid recovery.
Finally, during the consultation, we’ll be happy to talk with you further about financing your surgery, scheduling it, and all the other logistics. The consultation is also a good time for you to ask any questions you might have about your recovery period.
Contact Us to Learn More
The bottom line for our patients is that breast augmentation and breast lift procedures both are good options for altering the appearance of your breasts. However, they aren’t synonymous, and they are designed to achieve different goals.
We’d love to help you make an informed decision about pursuing breast augmentation or breast lift. To speak with one of our cosmetic breast surgeons, we welcome you to reach out to HKB Cosmetic Surgery at your next opportunity.