Over the past decade or so, injectables have risen significantly in popularity. These treatments can reduce the visible signs of aging, potentially smoothing over facial wrinkles, fine lines, creases, and more. What’s more, injectables are administered quickly and non-invasively in an office setting; it takes just minutes to receive an injectable, there is no need for anesthesia, and there is no downtime required. In fact, many patients head straight back to school or work after receiving their injection. So, are you better off with Botox or fillers?
For a while, Botox was far and away the most popular injectable. Today, dermal fillers are in a close second place. The truth is that both treatments can be beneficial, and before you come in for injectables at H/K/B, we recommend doing a little homework to learn more about the pros and cons of each option.
Some men and women are unsure if the time is right for these minimally invasive cosmetic treatments. If you’re curious about Botox or fillers, or wonder if they might be right for you, come in and talk with us. We can discuss these treatments in more detail and explain how they will impact your appearance.
Are Dermal Fillers Right for Me?
Has your face lost some of its youthful volume? Is your skin starting to droop or sag? Dermal fillers are an excellent treatment option for patients with mild to moderate signs of aging. They can be used to:
- Restore lost volume.
- Add fullness to the lips.
- Fill in lines and wrinkles on the face and neck.
- Reshape and contour the face.
Dermal fillers are injected into the skin to provide temporary but lasting results. The longevity of your results will vary depending on the filler used. We offer a wide range of fillers, including Juvederm, Perlane, Restylane, Radiesse, Sculptra, and Belotero Balance. Before your treatment, we can explain your options and the results you can expect from each one.
Is Botox Right for Me?
Botox is a type of neuromodulator that works by relaxing muscles that cause certain types of wrinkles. This is an excellent treatment option for crow’s feet, lines between the brows, bunny lines, etc. Results appear in just days and can be enjoyed for 4-6 months with each treatment. No downtime is needed. Botox can:
- Smooth wrinkles caused by muscle activity.
- Treat crow’s feet, bunny lines, lines between the brows, etc.
We also offer Dysport, a similar injectable treatment that may have unique benefits for some patients. We can help you decide if Botox or Dysport is your best treatment option.
Are You a Good Candidate for Fillers or Botox?
When you join us for a consultation at H/K/B, one of our providers will help you determine whether Botox or fillers would be a better fit; additionally, we will verify that you are a good candidate for safe, effective treatment.
Good Candidates for Dermal Fillers
Generally speaking, the best candidates for dermal fillers meet the following criteria:
- They have folds or wrinkles that qualify as moderate to severe.
- They have areas such as sunken cheeks or under eye circles that they wish to correct, but they do not wish to have surgery.
- They are in good physical health overall.
Meanwhile, for those who fit into the following categories, dermal fillers are typically not recommended:
- They have a history of extreme allergies.
- They smoke.
- They have underlying health conditions, including significant illness or infection.
To learn more about your qualifications for treatment with dermal fillers, we encourage you to make an appointment with one of our providers.
Good Candidates for Botox
Generally speaking, the best candidates for Botox meet the following criteria:
- They have facial wrinkles that are either moderate or severe in nature.
- These wrinkles are located in the parts of the face where Botox is most effective. Some examples include on the forehead, along the neck, and around or between the eyes.
- They are in good overall physical health.
- They have talked to an injection specialist and have realistic expectations about the effects of Botox.
Meanwhile, those who fall into the following categories are usually not considered to be good candidates for Botox:
- They are allergic to any of the ingredients in Botox, or to any products made from botulinum toxins.
- They have a skin infection at the intended injection site.
- They are pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- They have conditions that affect the muscles or nerves, including ALS.
- They are battling a significant illness or infection.
To learn more about your own qualifications for Botox, or to talk with a provider about the effects you can anticipate, we welcome you to contact us at any time.
Understanding the Pros and Cons of Injectables: Botox or Fillers
Regardless of whether you ultimately choose treatment via Botox or dermal fillers, it is helpful to know some of the overarching pros and cons of injectables.
We’ll start with the good stuff: As we mentioned in the introduction, injectables tend to be quick and easy, they offer little or no discomfort, and they do not have long downtimes associated with them. For those who seek significant aesthetic results but don’t want to have surgery, injectables are an obvious solution.
With that said, be aware that most injectables last for somewhere between six and 18 months. To hold on to your results, you may need to have maintenance injections periodically. Those who want a more permanent solution may prefer getting a facelift as opposed to regular treatment with injectables.
Schedule a Consultation with H/K/B for Botox or Fillers
Are you thinking about Botox or dermal fillers? Call or come by our offices today and learn more. Our knowledgeable staff can help you decide if these powerful anti-aging treatments are right for you. At H/K/B, we are always ready to chat with you about your cosmetic goals, and to help you identify the best available solutions. To schedule a consultation with us, reach out to our Charlotte, NC office at any time.